Several years ago Taco Bell had an item on their menu called the Zesty Chicken Border Bowl. This was easily one of my favorite items on the menu but sadly they decided to remove it and it returned. The best part this bowl was the Zesty Sauce that came with it, it was very similar to a spicy ranch perhaps. When trying a recipe for a sauce to go on chicken, it immediately reminded me of the sauce that came with the Zesty Chicken Bowl, so I decided to attempt to re-create these bowls at home. The Zesty Chicken Bowl basically consists of refried beans, seasoned rice, lettuce, cheese, grilled chicken, red tortilla strips, Pico de Gallo, and the zesty chicken bowl dressing.
Taco Bell Zesty Chicken Border Bowl
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 2 cups minute rice
- 1 small can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups Colby-jack cheese
- Red tortilla strips
Zesty chicken bowl dressing-
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green onion
- 2 teaspoons lime juice fresh
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- ¼ white onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Grill the chicken turning at least once until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Remove from the grill and slice into strips.
- In a small saucepan heat the refried beans until hot and smooth. Keep warm.
- Cook the minute rice according to package directions. Stir in the enchilada sauce into the rice and keep warm.
- Place all of the zesty chicken bowl dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine tomato, onion, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Spread a layer of refried beans onto the bottom of an individual serving bowl. Top with a layer of rice, a layer of lettuce, a layer of chicken, some Colby-jack cheese, salsa, and tortilla strips. Add a bit of the zesty dressing on top. Repeat to make as many bowls as needed.