You can easily make carnitas chimichangas with the use of the slow cooker and a skillet for frying them. Making chimichangas with chicken or beef can get boring after awhile so why not give pork a try? The carnitas are prepared in the crock pot and then used in the chimichangas. The chimichangas are also stuffed with Monterey jack cheese and pinto beans. For the toppings you an add whatever you like but I prefer lettuce and guacamole.
- 2-3 pound pork roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 10 Large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monetary jack cheese
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- Canola oil for frying
- Place all of the ingredients for the carnitas into the bottom of a slow cooker. Cover and cooked on low for 8 hours. Remove the pork from the crock pot and shred using two forks. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and mix with the juices.
- Using a slotty spoon or tongs, add some of the carnitas meat to the center of a flour tortilla leaving about a 2 ½ inch border around the edge. Top with some pinto beans and shredded cheese. Fold in the sides and fold the bottom side up and roll to wrap. Fasten the ends with toothpicks.
- Fill a pot with about 1 inch of canola oil and heat to medium-high heat. Add two filled tortillas and fry until golden brown on the bottom on the bottom. Using metal tongs carefully flip over and cook until golden brown on the other side. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Remove the toothpicks. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve right away with optional toppings of your choice.