These chorizo and cheese quesadillas are delicious to serve for dinner. These quesadillas are loaded with cheese, green onions, refried beans, and chorizo. The best part about this recipe are the two different type of cheeses—cheddar and queso fresco. The combination is just delicious and the queso fresco really helps to add a somewhat unique flavor to these quesadillas. You can serve these with tortilla chips on the side.
Chorizo and Cheese Quesadillas
- 9 ounces ground Mexican chorizo beef or pork
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 can refried beans warmed
- 1 ½ cups crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 6 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Remove the chorizo from the casing. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook while breaking up into chunks with a spatula until fully cooked (about 7-10 minutes). Drain of any excess grease.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Add a tortillas and spread about 2 tablespoons of refried beans on top of it. Top with some queso fresco, shredded cheddar all over the tortilla. Then add chorizo and green onions on one half of the tortilla. Cook until the cheese has melted and the bottom is brown. Fold the half of the tortilla without chorizo and green onion over the half with chorizo and green onions and press down with a spatula. Remove from the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.