Chinese cashew chicken is a delicious stir fry dish consisting of chicken pieces coated in a sauce with cashews. Stir frying is a healthier alternative to most Chinese food that is cooked in a deep-fryer. This recipe is easy and can be prepared in no time at all. What is great about this dish is it tastes just like something you would get at your favorite Chinese restaurant or takeout joint. You can prepare this cashew chicken with a wok, just a normal skillet will work just fine. The sauce gets a lot of Chinese flavor from soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. You can easily double or triple the sauce to serve over white rice.
Chinese Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, vinegar, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and ¼ cup soy sauce.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook while stir-frying for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Add garlic and dry sherry. Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and ¼ cup soy sauce. Stir into the boiling sauce in the skillet. Add cashews and ¼ cup water. Cook for an additional minute.
- Top with green onions for serving.