You can easily make a tater tot breakfast casserole with sausage and a few other ingredients you might even already have on hand. If you are short on time and need a quick and easy recipe to throw together this breakfast bake is right up your alley. The oven does most of the work for you except you will want to brown the breakfast sausage on the stove-top first. To make this casserole just throw the cooked sauce, eggs, cheese, and tater tots into a baking dish and it will be ready to serve in no time at all. I like to use shredded cheddar cheese for this bake but you could experiment with a variety of different cheeses such as cheddar-jack, Colby-jack or American. I mainly use store bought breakfast sausage but you can make your own if you want to really make this recipe your own. The casserole can be prepared in advance, except for the breakfast sausage, refrigerated and then prepared then next day.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees In a large skillet cook the breakfast sausage over medium-high heat while breaking up into chunks with a spatula.
- Spread the sausage evenly into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl mix together milk, eggs, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and then pour over the sausage. Top with cheese and tater tots.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the tater tots are browned.