Mac and cheese tater tots are exactly what you need to take your game day food to the next level. These tater tots are loaded with mac and cheese, bacon, and green onions. The bacon is cooked until crispy but you can save time by using pre-cooked bacon and heat it for a few minutes until crispy. If you are using regular bacon the best method to cook it is probably in the oven. 350 degrees F. for about 20-30 minutes on a baking sheet should get it nice and crispy. The mac and cheese is homemade and a good sharp cheddar will give it amazing flavor to complement the bacon and tater tots. This really makes a nice appetizer for football parties.
Mac and Cheese Tater Tots
- 1 (2 pounbag frozen tater tots
- 1 pound bacon cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 4 green onions sliced
- Mac and Cheese-
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook tater tots according to package directions by either using the oven or a deep-fryer.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes awhile stirring. Slowly add the milk and cook while stirring until the mixture becomes somewhat thick. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Drain the elbow macaroni and add it to the cheese sauce. Stir until the cheese sauce is combined with the noodles.
- Top the cooked tater tots with mac and cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions.