There are a lot of different way to prepared French toast but easily one of my favorites is pumpkin French toast sticks. This recipe combines classic French toast ingredients such as milk and egg with the ingredients of a pumpkin pie. That’s right, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice are added in with the traditional French toast batter and Texas toast sticks are coated in the batter and then fried to perfection in a pan or on a griddle. Using a griddle is great for this recipe because you can cook the French toast sticks in large batches. Once the French toast is done cooking the sticks are coated with a sugar and cinnamon mixture for even more sweetness and delicious flavor. If you can’t find Texas toast you can make this recipe without it, just try and find some thick bread slices or take a French bread and cut it yourself. You can top these French sticks without any toppings you like such as butter, maple syrup, chocolate chips, and whipped cream.
Pumpkin French Toast Sticks
- 1 loaf Texas toast pieces cut into thirds
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a pie dish or shallow plate mix together ¼ cup sugar and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and heat until melted. Dip the bread pieces into the egg mixture, flip and coat the other side. Place into the hot skillet. Cook each until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side). Immediately roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat until all French toast sticks are cooked.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like maple syrup and butter.