You don’t need the smoker, the simple truth is that you can easily prepare slow cooked pulled pork in the oven. A pork butt is simply seasoned with a spice rub and then placed into a baking dish and then cooked for several hours. The dry rub using common ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen such as chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Once the pork is cooked, it is shredded and then you have use it for whatever you want. I like to mix it with bbq sauce and use it on sandwiches but it also goes great by itself or served with mac and cheese.
Slow Cooked Pulled Pork in Oven
- 1 4 pound pork butt or pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ cup brown sugar
- In a small bowl combine all of the dry rub ingredients and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the pork shoulder into a roasting pan that is at least 3 inches deep and 1 inch wider on all sides than the pork shoulder. Make sure the side with the layer of fat is facing up. Rub the pork shoulder on all sides with the dry rub.
- Place Into the oven and bake for 6 hours or until the thickest part reads 170 degrees Basically you want to cook the pork until it is falling apart.
- Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. Shred the pork using two forks.