When I am in the mood for Chinese cuisine Chinese beef in black pepper sauce is always a good choice. This dish can often be found at the Chinese buffet and consists of sliced beef in a delicious black pepper sauce. The sauce gets a lot of flavor from soy sauce, oyster sauce, beef broth and a generous amount of ground black pepper. To prepare this dish the beef strips, green pepper, and onions are stir-fried and then the sauce is added until thick. This Chinese recipe is very easy to prepare. Serve with white rice.
Chinese Beef in Black Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb flank steak
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 green pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Slice the steak into thin strips. In a medium bowl combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, sugar, wine, cornstarch and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Add about 1 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef strips and stir-fry about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add garlic and stir fry for 15 seconds. Add peppers and onions and stir-fry until slightly soft. Return the beef strips back into the pan. Pour in the sauce mixture. Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.