There are few better comfort foods for dinner than Italian meatballs in the crock pot. These meatballs use classic Italian style ingredients such as breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic. You will want to use Italian breadcrumbs for the best flavor but you can also use plain breadcrumbs as well. For the meat you will want to use a combination of beef and pork or beef, pork and veal for best results. Sometimes you can find this meat combination in a single package at the grocery store. The homemade spaghetti sauce is prepared in the slow cooker and then the meatballs are added and simmered in the sauce until done. The meatballs really help to give the sauce a delicious flavor. You can serve these meatballs with whatever type of paste you like such as spaghetti or linguine and garlic bread.
Crock Pot Italian Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (24 ounccans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounccan tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to paste
- In a large bowl combine beef, pork, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until well combined. Form into 1 or 2 inch meatballs.
- To the bottom of the crockpot add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, crushed red pepper lakes and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the meatballs and spoon a little of the sauce over the top of them until they are covered in sauce. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 4 hours.