You can bake sweet potato fries but frying them in the deep fryer Is even better. Deep-frying will get your sweet potato fries nice and crispy and you can easily cook a lot of them in several batches. These fries are simple to prepare and you will want to soak the fries in cold water first and then toss them with a water and cornstarch mixture before frying in the hot oil. Seasonings are optional and could be as simple as salt but some other options are black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Another good choice for a bit of a different flavor is ground cinnamon. You will want to make sure you don’t cut the fries too thick or they won’t get very crispy. Some recipes call for boiling in water but I prefer to skip this step and go straight for the fryer.
Deep Fried Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes in 3/8 inch wide sticks. Soak in a bowl of cold water for 1 hour. Drain the water.
- In a bowl mix together 2/3 cup of cornstarch with 2/3 cup of water. Dip fries in the batter and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or pot to 350 degrees Fry the sweet potatoes fries in batches, stirring occasionally while frying so that they don’t stick together. Cook for fries to 7-10 minutes or until golden. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.