A fairly simple and easy meal is Italian stuffed peppers. In this recipe green bell peppers are stuffed with a delicious ground beef and rice mixture and then topped with tomato sauce and cheese. The peppers are baked in the oven for about an hour and then are ready to serve. You can use either white or brown rice for this dish. What really makes this dish special is the delicious flavor that the cooked peppers gives to the meat mixture inside of them. The peppers are topped with shredded mozzarella cheese. You don’t even really need a side dish to go with this meal, they are very filing.
Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- 6 green bell peppers
- 2 (8 ounccans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the ground beef and cook while breaking up into chunks with a spoon or spatula until browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds and membranes from the bell peppers. Arrange on a baking sheet so that the top is facing up.
- In a bowl combine browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl and pour over the peppers.
- Bake for 1 hour until the peppers are tender. During the last few minutes of cooking top the peppers with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese has melted.