Pizza sauce is easy enough to make with a few ingredients such as tomato paste and tomato sauce. I really like to add a little bit of fresh herbs to my sauce such as oregano and basil. To make a good pizza sauce you will want to add a bit of crushed red pepper for a little kick and a bit of sugar for some sweetness. If you don’t want to use fresh herbs you can simply replace them with dry ingredients instead. There is a good chance you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand for this recipe. This sauce is simple to prepare and you can use it on your favorite homemade pizza recipe.
Easy Pizza Sauce with Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ¾ teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh basil or ¾ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 – 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. Add the garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add onion powder, red pepper flakes, basil, and oregano. Stir a few times and add parmesan cheese, brown sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 30 minutes and then use.