With this homemade chicken chimichangas recipe you can make your chimichangas just like at your favorite Mexican restaurant. To prepare this dish the chicken is first cooked in the crock pot with tomato sauce and various Mexican seasonings and then shredded and rolled up in a flour tortilla with beans and cheese. These chimichangas are prepared classic style by being fried in hot oil. This gives the chimichangas a great deal of flavor and crispiness. Once the chimichangas are finished cooking you can top them with your favorite Mexican ingredients such as guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomato, and pico de gallo.
Homemade Chicken Chimichangas
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 (16 ounccan pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded monetary jack cheese
- Oil for frying
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sour cream
- Diced tomato
- In a slow cooker combine tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, and salsa. Add the chicken breasts and coat with the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred using two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and mix with the sauce.
- Add some the chicken to the center of a flour tortilla leaving about a 2 ½ inch border around the edge. Top with some pinto beans and shredded cheese. Fold in the sides and fold the bottom side up and roll to wrap. Fasten the ends with toothpicks.
- Fill a pot with about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat to medium-high heat. Add two filled tortillas and fry until golden brown on the bottom on the bottom. Using metal tongs carefully flip over and cook until golden brown on the other side. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Remove the toothpicks. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve right away with optional toppings of your choice.