It is quite possible that there is no better hot dog topping than macaroni and cheese. These hot dogs are great on the grill and can be served for dinner or for game day parties. Grilling the hot dogs is what I recommend but you could also boil them if you want. The macaroni and cheese is the real highlight of this recipe and gets a lot of flavor from sharp cheddar cheese. I used brioche buns for these hot dogs and the flavor was amazing. You will probably have leftover mac and cheese that you can serve on the side, so there is no need to prepare a side dish with this recipe. If you want to really take this recipe to the next level add some crispy crumbled bacon on top along with the green onions.
Mac and Cheese Hot Dogs
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 green onions sliced
- Macaroni and cheese-
- 1 (8 ouncepackage elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well blended. Pour in the milk stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring. Add cheddar, a little at a time and stir in until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Add macaroni noodles to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Add the hot dog buns to the grill and cook until lightly toasted. Remove from the grill. Add the hot dogs and grilled until they are cooked to your liking. Serve on buns with mac and cheese and green onions.